Being Christian

What does it mean to be Christian? Are Mormon Christians different from other Christians?


I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In our church we are "called" to help out in various ways. My current calling is teaching the sweet relief society sisters (ages 18 and up) in my particular ward one Sunday a month. I'm pretty sure that I've learned so much more from preparing my lessons than they have from listening to me. Today my lesson was on a talk called "Being a More Christian Christian"  given by Elder Robert D. Hales at the last general conference session. This talk really spoke to me. It really caused me to think about what it really means to be christian. I had several thoughts as I was preparing to teach this lesson. But I also asked some friends and family members what they thought on the matter. I will share with you my thoughts. Here are a few quotes that hit me hard: 

  • The world would change for good if more of us followed the Savior.
  • It is not enough to know what Jesus taught. We must also do what Jesus taught. 
  • A true christian strives daily to become more converted to the gospel.
  • Be joyful! Christians should be the happiest people on earth!
  • Be humble and serve.
  • Speak words of faith, not fear. Give up worry.
  • Remember that Christ knows us and still loves us. Trust in His Love.


The thing that hit me the hardest today as I was teaching was that being christian just means being unselfish, thinking of others, and performing little acts of kindness. And service is simple: say hi to a stranger, go visit a friend you haven't seen in awhile, help someone carry a heavy load when you see they are carrying more than they can handle, spend a minute talking to someone who is having a bad day, etc. Many of us serve others on a daily basis. It's a part of our lives. It's something that we are constantly doing without even thinking about it. It's so simple. But sometimes we overthink it and it becomes hard. 

I asked a dear friend about this topic and this is what she shared with me: "I was just thinking about Mormon Christians vs. other Christians today and I realized that we place a huge emphasis on what is to come and sometimes forget that the atonement and the gospel and everything we have is also to improve our quality of life now. I think a lot of us struggle through our day to day and still hope for the future forgetting that we CAN have it then AND now." The things she had to say made me realize that I am guilty of this. I am constantly worrying about things in my life and thinking about the future. But I need to focus on what's happening right now and being JOYFUL and Happy about my life! Life is good. There is so much to be thankful for. I need to serve more and stop focusing on myself. I LOVE this gospel! I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father and all that he puts me through!!!

Happy Sunday everyone. :) 

I have the hardest time teaching because I get so nervous. But soemone gave me the sweetest compliment today. This sweet sister told me "You make it look so easy." That was the sweetest thing and just brightened my day!!! I was so grateful for that sweet compliment. :)





Popular posts from this blog

{Girls' Trip}

{Lipsense}

{Just Call Me Gimp}