The Hope of God's Light


It was my Sunday to teach Relief Society today. As always, I was very touched by the Spirit as I prepared for the lesson. This month I was assigned to teach on the talk "The Hope of God's Light" by President Uchtdorf. What an AMAZING talk! If you haven't had a chance, please read it here or listen to it. Wow!!! I want to share a few thoughts that I had while preparing this lesson.

The whole point of this talk is overcoming "darkness" in our lives and finding "light". He talks about how we can overcome that darkness. There are three ways he mentions that we can do that: Start where you are right now, turn your heart towards the Lord, and Walk in the light.

I love that he says "start where you are"! How often do we feel that it's too hard to start from where we are or that we don't know how to start. But all we have to do is start from where we are (no matter where that is) and the light of Christ will begin to enter our lives. That thought is so comforting to me. No matter what I have/haven't been doing, I can start working toward the light right now! I love it! Come unto Christ.

When I was thinking about "turning your heart toward the Lord" I thought that it's in the simple things. Pray to Christ, read your scriptures, go to the temple, SERVE others (in big or small ways). And the thing that I thought of the most was thanking HF for blessings each day. Since my sister left on her mission, each member of my family has been writing in a thankful journal every night. What a blessing! I feel myself closer to my Father in Heaven when I take the time to thank him for the things that he gave me that day. What a blessing to feel his LOVE in my life!

Walking in the Light just brings me happiness to think about. If we do the above two things, then we'll start to move towards the light. And what a feeling it is to walk in the light, rather than darkness! I came across something this weekend that said that darkness can't overcome darkness, but light can overcome darkness. So if we're seeking light and inviting the light into our lives, then it will overcome the darkness and move that darkness out of our lives.

I love this quote from the talk: "There may be some among you who feel darkness encroaching upon you. You may feel burdened by worry, fear, or doubt. To you and to all of us, I repeat a wonderful and certain truth: God's light is real. It is available to ALL! It gives life to all things. It has the power to soften the sting of the deepest wound. It can be a healing balm for the loneliness and sickness of our souls. In the furrows of despair, it can plant the seeds of a brighter hope. It can enlighten the deepest valleys of sorrow. It can illuminate the path before us and lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn."

I just love that! His light is real and it is available to ALL!!! Wow. God is amazing. His power is incredible. I am so grateful to have His light in my life. I am so grateful to know that even in the darkest of times in my life he is available and ready to be there for me. I just have to seek the light and ask Him to enter my life. The gospel is true! I love the feelings that the light of Christ bring into my life!

One of my favorite songs illustrates exactly what President Uchtdork is saying in this talk. I can't find it on youtube so I can't share it with you. But the song is: "Past the Point" by Hilary Weeks. Look it up. It's amazing!!!!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Popular posts from this blog

{Girls' Trip}

{Lipsense}

{Just Call Me Gimp}