{Just Call Me Gimp}

It's been a really long time since I've posted to this blog. There once was a day when I posted here daily, so it's hard to think that it's been over a year. What! With my crazy life, I don't think I'll be consistent. But I do think I want to start blogging again. There's something really therapeutic about writing a blog post. It's such a great release!


Ouch...stuck in a walking boot for awhile. I guess I'm a gimp for now. 


The reason I decided to write this post today has to do with my hurt foot. I explain to people on a daily basis what happened to my foot. To be honest, I'm kind of tired of telling the story. Maybe I'll come up with a new, more exciting story to tell. Add a little spice to my somewhat boring life. ;)

{THE STORY}

The day was Monday, January 30th. I had been at my best friend Janee's house. We'd exercised and then I'd stayed for dinner. I was tired and I had a lot on my mind. I left her house earlier than I would've normally left. I had a lot in my hands...purse, exercise bag, and I'm not even sure what else. As I left her house, I headed down the front porch steps. It was around 6 or 7 pm, but it was dark enough that I couldn't see. I thought I'd made it all the way down the steps when, in actuality, there was one step left. I took a step onto what I thought was flat ground. Since it was not flat ground, I fell on my face. My bags flew everywhere. I was in a lot of pain. I hurt everywhere. I scraped up my knee and leg pretty badly. I wasn't sure what pain was from exercising and what pain was from falling down the step. I was embarrassed so I picked everything up, jumped in my car, and drove away. I took it easy for the rest of the night.

I can be pretty stubborn and I'm not always good at admitting that I need help. Therefore, I got up the next morning (in a lot of pain) and went to work. My foot was killing me ALL DAY LONG! Taking the stairs was a slow and painful process. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head, but it hurt oh so bad! I finally sucked it up and decided to go to a doctor. I talked to a few friends at work and got the phone number for a super great doctor! I made an appointment for the next morning.

I got up on Wednesday, February 1st ready to go see the doctor. I was pretty sure that my foot wasn't broken (been there, done that), but I was in a lot of pain. Even though I was pretty sure that my foot wasn't broken, I was still worried. I broke this same foot about 15 years ago during my student teaching. My foot was hurting in that exact spot so I was so worried about what I might have done to that foot. I went in to the doctor and found out that I didn't break any bones but that I had torn ligaments and tendinitis. And the best part...I'd get to have a boot on my foot for 2-6 weeks. Did I mention that I hurt my driving foot? That meant one boot to walk in and a separate boot to drive in. That meant that every time that I got in or out of my car I would need to change my boot. I figured out pretty quickly that I did not like this...not one little bit. But I really had no choice.

My sweet bestie gave me flowers after she 
found out that I hurt my foot. 


For the next 1 1/2 weeks I dealt with the pain of it all. I made the necessary accommodations to make my situation bearable. I started taking the elevator at work. I had to sit in my chair a lot more than I was used to. I trained my students to walk to my desk for help rather than raising their hands. I was used to walking to them. I walk lots of steps in any given day. My reality became much different from what I was used to. I took off my Fitbit indefinitely in order to avoid depression and frustration. A few days prior to my next doctor's appointment my foot started throbbing again. I was feeling frustrated about this because I just wanted to ditch the boot. I just wanted to be done. I felt like my foot was hurting worse than it even had been in the beginning.

Then I went back to my doctor (2 1/2 weeks after hurting my foot...2 weeks after getting the boot put on my foot). I told the doctor about what had been going on with my foot. He told me he had his suspicions about what was going on but he wanted to look at the X-rays again. Upon looking at them he discovered that I had a small fracture on one of the bones in my foot. A fracture so small that, unless you are looking for it, you will not find it. Thanks to the fracture, the doctor told me that I was stuck in the boot for two more weeks, possibly four more weeks. He said to come back in two weeks, and that I should bring a normal shoe with me. He told me to plan on walking out of his office in a regular shoe. Even though I was bummed about keeping the boot on my foot, it was promising to hear that I would most likely walk out of his office in a shoe after my next appointment.

That was about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I see the doctor in two days. I can't wait to see that doctor again! I want to ditch the boot. I want to walk around in a normal shoe. I don't want to worry about walking, falling, or tripping in the snow. I told my best friend Janee that I was just going to call the doctor and tell him that I didn't need to come in. I'd just tell him that my foot is healed and then I could be on my way. But I know I can't do that. So on Wednesday I will go in to the doctor's office with a prayer that he will release me from this awful boot. At this point the boot feels like a formality. I don't feel like I need it. But I have continued to wear it because that is what I'm supposed to do.

But honestly...get this freakin boot off of my foot! I just want to walk around in normal shoes. I want getting in and out of the car to be less of an ordeal. I want exercising to be back to normal. I don't want to have to modify all of my workouts. I want my person trainer (best personal trainer ever, by the way) to be able to push me hard and to kick my butt! So when you see me on Thursday or in the coming days, I sure hope that you will see me in a regular shoe! Walking around in a shoe, not a boot, with a big smile on my face. I plan to have a big celebration on Thursday. When I get the boot off on Wednesday, it will be 4 1/2 weeks in that awful thing. It's worth it for a healed foot. But the foot is fine, so lets take it off and move on...




Popular posts from this blog

{Girls' Trip}

{Lipsense}